There are different reasons why vets recommend low sodium dog food. Dogs with high blood pressure issues, heart failure, and some other conditions are often recommended to have low sodium content. Low sodium content can prevent dogs from different heart problems, strokes, and other medical issues.
However, finding a low sodium diet can be tricky for many dog owners. But if you have detailed information about it, you can easily find the right for your dog. Therefore we are here to provide you details that you need to know about the best low sodium dog food.
Moreover, we will also recommend some positively reviewed dog food low in sodium content and made by well-known brands. So be patient and read the information given below.
- 10 Best Dog Food To Gain Weight And Muscle In 2020
- Best Dog Food For Less Poop In 2020 (Detailed Review)
What Will I Learn?
- 1 10 Best Low Sodium Dog Foods For Your Canine Fellow
- 1.1 Our Top 5 Recommendations Of Low Sodium Dog Food
- 1.2 1. Wellness Natural Pet Natural Low Sodium Dog Food:
- 1.3 2. ORIJEN Dry Dog Food, Grain-Free, High Protein
- 1.4 3. Rachael Ray Nutrish Super Premium Dry Dog Food
- 1.5 4. The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Grain Free Dog Food
- 1.6 5. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
- 1.7 6. Earthborn Holistic Adult Vantage Natural Dog Food
- 1.8 7. Purina Pro Plan Weight Management Adult Dry Dog Food
- 1.9 8. Natural Balance Ultra-Premium Wet Dog Food
- 1.10 9. Natural Balance LID. Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food
- 1.11 10. Taste of the Wild High Protein Low In Sodium
- 2 5 Things to Look For While Buying Dog Food Low In Sodium
- 3 Recommended Sodium Intake For Dogs
- 4 4 Health issues In Which Dog Needs Low Sodium Dog Food
- 5 How To Start Giving Low Sodium Dog Food To My Dog
- 6 What are the Effects of Overdosing of Sodium?
- 7 Conclusion
10 Best Low Sodium Dog Foods For Your Canine Fellow
Our Top 5 Recommendations Of Low Sodium Dog Food
Wellness Natural Pet Natural Low Sodium Dog Food
ORIJEN Dry Dog Food, Grain Free, High Protein
Rachael Ray Nutrish Super Premium Dry Dog Food
The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Grain Free Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
Wellness Natural Pet Food is a well-known brand making the best low sodium dog food. The product has been rated 4.6 stars by 3000+ users and is available in different flavors. It features high-quality proteins and some wholesome grains that have been added efficiently to balance the food. There are no meat by-products used in the recipe.
The food formula contains an adequate amount of antioxidants that are required to support the immune system. A balanced amount of nutrition is present in it that provides optimal energy to your dog. There are no fillers, preservatives, or artificial flavors in the recipe. It also contains an adequate amount of antioxidants, glucosamine, taurine, and omega fatty acids.
Taurine is essential for vision and heart health, while omega fatty acids are essential for a healthy and shiny coat.
- High-quality ingredients have been used in the recipe.
- The food has a good taste that your dog will crave for.
- No artificial flavors or additives in the recipe.
- Vets recommend it.
- The product may be a bit expensive for some dog owners.
- It also contains chicken fat, which is not good if your dog is allergic to poultry.
ORIJEN features dry dog food for dogs that need low sodium dog food. This product has been rated 4.6 stars by 2600+ users. It’s a high protein food with a blend of different proteins. The product has been manufactured in the USA and contains several fresh ingredients. It is free from grains, preservatives, or artificial flavors. It fulfills your dog’s taste buds with a taste of wild.
Fresh and raw animal ingredients have been used in the recipe that includes bone, cartilage, organs, and meat. The components are supplied from trusted sources. There are 85% high-quality animal ingredients and fulfill all your dog’s requirements.
- The food has a fantastic taste, and animal ingredients give a wild flavor to your dog.
- Fresh and high-quality ingredients have been used in the recipe that has been supplied from trusted sources.
- The product has been manufactured in the USA.
- ORIJEN dry dog food has a strong aroma that some dogs may not like.
- Some dogs can suffer from diarrhea.
Rachael Nutrish is popular dog food, and customers have high reviewed its products. About 9300+ users have positively reviewed this product with 4.7 stars. It is free from fillers, additives, wheat, and gluten. Also, there are no poultry or meat by-products in the recipe. The food contains essential minerals and vitamins added in the recipe that are necessary for your dog.
The food has been safely cooked in the USA with the best ingredients used in it. The vegetables have been used in the recipe to balance the food. In simple words, you will get natural, high-quality dog food to improve your dog’s health.
- No by-products or fillers in the recipe. It is free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
- It includes wholesome fiber from beet pulp and brown rice that are also a source of prebiotics. They provide a healthy digestive system and support the overall health of your puppy.
- The food formula contains all essential minerals and vitamins.
- Some dogs can be allergic to chicken.
This is another recommendation for low sodium dog food, and it has been rated 4.2 stars by 3600+ users. It’s a grain-free diet that contains whole food ingredients such as turkey, coconuts, and spinach. These components are easy to digest and provide maximum nutrition retention. Turkey provides high-quality protein in the recipe.
The food is suitable for all ages of dogs and has a delicious taste your dog will crave for. It is also ideal for all dog breeds and contains balanced nutrition. Quality is not compromised for each ingredient in the recipe. The food has been prepared the same way as human food is designed, keeping high standards and high-quality ingredients.
You need to add warm water to the food to serve it to your dog. It can be served as a whole meal alone, or you can also serve it on top of dry dog food.
- High-quality real ingredients have been used in the recipe.
- The food has been freeze dried, which helps to preserve most of the nutrients.
- The recipe gives a delicious taste and doesn’t have a strong aroma like other dog foods.
- The product has a mushy texture just like oatmeal and may not appeal to some dogs
- It is expensive than other dog foods.
Blue Buffalo pet food is one of the most popular and well-known brands, and customers have positively reviewed its products. It’s a high-quality low sodium dog food and has been rated 4.7 stars by 17000+ users. Real meat is the first ingredient in the recipe and features a high-quality protein source.
The recipe also contains some fruits and vegetables freshly taken from the garden and some wholesome grains. It has been prepared specially for adult dogs and contains adequate carbohydrates that fulfill your dog’s energy requirements. Blue Buffalo features its LifeSource bits formula that is a blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants necessary for the immune system and overall health.
- High-quality ingredients have been used in the recipe.
- LifeSource bits formula supports the immune system, digestive system, and your pet’s overall health.
- The bag has a zip lock closure that helps to keep the food fresh.
- A mineral and vitamin mix is in the form of small pellets and is separated from kibbles. Some dogs may refuse to eat it.
Another recommendation for low sodium dog food is Earthborn Holistic Adult Vantage. The recipe contains grains that are easy to digest, such as brown rice, barley, oatmeal, and rye. These are also a source of fiber and maintain a healthy lifestyle for your dog.
The food formula contains premium protein sources that include whitefish meal and chicken meal. These are important for building and maintaining the lean mass muscles of your dog. It also includes a powerful blend of fruit, vegetables, beta-carotene, blueberries, sweet potatoes, and carrots that support your dog’s immune system.
- The food contains a balanced amount of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids essential for healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- High-quality ingredients have been used in the recipe for providing important nutrition to your dog.
- There is no corn in the recipe, and the grains that have been used in the formula are safe for dogs with food allergies.
- Chicken is the number one ingredient in a recipe that can be problematic for some dogs.
Purina Pro Plan is a famous dog food brand that has been rated 4.7 stars by 1600+ users. It’s a wet dog food available in the form of gravy and contains high protein content. The recipe focuses on maintaining the ideal weight of your puppy. Real turkey has been used in the recipe along with other high-quality ingredients.
There is an optimum level of protein that helps dogs to lose fat but not muscles. It has less than 25% fat in the recipe and 23 essential minerals and vitamins. The food can be used for overweight dogs or for those who are less active. It has been manufactured in the US.
- The product has an affordable price and will not disturb your budget.
- It has a pleasing aroma and flavor.
- The food formula is suitable for overweight dogs and helps them lose extra fats.
- It causes soft and smelly dog poop.
If you are looking for wet dog food with low sodium, Natural Balance Ultra-premium is a recommendation. About 1400+ users have rated this product with 4.5 stars. It’s a complete balanced nutrition that is suitable for all dog breeds and dogs of all ages. The recipe contains high-quality energy sources such as brown rice, potatoes, oat bran, etc.
The food formula promotes healthy digestion in dogs and maintains the muscular health of your dog. It also contains carbohydrates that can be easily digested. Another unique feature of dog food is that each batch of food has gone through 9 different tests. This is done to make sure that your dog is getting safe to eat the product.
- High quality and easy to digest ingredient have been used in the recipe.
- There is no corn, soy, and chicken in the recipe that perfectly suits dogs with food allergies.
- Food can is not difficult to open without a can opener.
- The food has a mushy texture, so your dog may not like it.
Among the dry dog food option, Natural Balance is another option to consider if you are looking for low sodium dog food. More than 1400 users have reviewed this product with 4.6 stars. It is free from artificial colors, preservatives, and harmful additives.
The food contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids essential for healthy skin and a shiny coat. Moreover, there are also added minerals and vitamins in the recipe that provide necessary nutritional requirements to your dog.
- As the name suggests, the food contains limited ingredients that make it ideal for dogs with different food allergies.
- Fresh and quality ingredients have been used in the recipe and are easy to digest.
- The product does not have quality packaging, and it can break.
- Some dogs suffered from diarrhea due to this recipe.
Taste of the Wild Pet food is a well-known brand, and its products have been positively reviewed. It contains smoked salmon, and real fish is the number one ingredient. It is high in protein content due to grains like sorghum, millet, chia, and quinoa.
The food has been manufactured by a team of veterinary experts, pet food nutritionists. It contains ingredients that are easy to digest and also contains prebiotics that improves the immune system. Taste of the Wild improves the overall health of your dog.
- There are high-quality ingredients used in the recipe. There are no fillers in the formula, which means that your dog has fewer poops.
- No eggs have been used in the recipe that makes it suitable for dogs with egg allergies.
- It is free from artificial flavors, additives, or preservatives in dog food.
- The food makes your dog’s breath smell like fish.
5 Things to Look For While Buying Dog Food Low In Sodium
A dog food low in sodium should have the same nutrition level as regular dog food, which means that it should contain high-quality protein. There should also be some healthy fibers and a relatively low salt amount than any ordinary dog food. There are different things in a low sodium dog food you need to pay attention to. These include:
1. High-Quality Protein:
Dogs with low sodium should contain high-quality protein. Make sure that the product you are getting for your dog is labeled correctly. Whole meats are the best options for high-quality protein. Other than that, by-products and meat meals are also acceptable, but they should be labeled appropriately. The food should have high protein content.
2. Artificial flavors:
Dog foods with high salt content also contain artificial flavors and additives such as dyes. Therefore, it is better to avoid foods containing artificial flavors or preservatives because they are not nutritious for your dog. Artificial additives further increase salt content.
3. Fiber and Fats:
A low sodium dog food should contain an adequate amount of healthy fibers and fats. Among health fats, flaxseed oil, salmon oil, fish oil, and animal fat are excellent choices. Fiber is essential for your dog in case it suffers from digestive problems. Therefore, always remember to checks the amount and source of healthy fats and fibers in dog food.
Carbohydrates are a source of energy; however, all carbohydrates are not the same. Some complex carbohydrates are more difficult to break, such as flaxseed, whole grains, and sweet potatoes. These types of carbohydrates help to prevent a spike in the blood sugar level of your dog.
5. Mineral and Vitamins:
Minerals, vitamins, and other supplements are equally important to consider in a low sodium dog food. Product quality depends on the ingredients that have been used in the recipe. Low sodium dog food containing fruits such as bananas, apples, and vegetables such as green beans and carrots are some healthy options that you can consider.
Moreover, some foods have supplements such as glucosamine and fish oil. These are also some healthy options to consider if your dog is suffering from different health issues such as joint disease or skin condition.
Recommended Sodium Intake For Dogs
According to the Association of American Feed Control Officials, dry dog food should have at least 0.3% sodium content. It is essential for average growth, maintenance, and development. 0.3% is the minimum recommended level of sodium for dog foods. A high sodium intake can cause increased water consumption and thirst, and extra sodium is excreted through urine in dogs.
Healthy dogs can easily consume a high amount of salt found in most commercial foods. However, dogs that have different health issues cannot consume high salt content. Therefore make sure the food you are choosing for your dog does not contain higher salt content.
4 Health issues In Which Dog Needs Low Sodium Dog Food
There are different health issues in dogs that need low sodium dog food. These include:
- Kidney diseases
- Liver disease
- Heart disease
1. Kidney Problems:
Kidneys are responsible for removing excess salt and minerals and excreting it through urine. If a dog is suffering from kidney problems, kidneys will not be able to remove extra salt from the body, leading to water retention in dogs. It can also have several other impacts on the health of your dog.
Hypernatremia is also known as salt toxicity. It occurs when your dog eats something with excess salt and does not get enough water to dilute it. This leads to an extra amount of sodium in your dog’s bloodstream.
3. Liver disease:
The liver is responsible for the filtration of toxins from the blood and regulates other body functions. Therefore, a low sodium dog food is necessary to manage different impacts of liver disorder.
4. Heart Disease:
Dogs with different heart problems cannot remove excess fluid or salt from the body. They will retain extra water in the body that puts pressure on the heart and ultimately leads to heart failure. Therefore dogs with heart problems need low sodium dog food.
How To Start Giving Low Sodium Dog Food To My Dog
Changing your dog’s diet can be challenging; therefore, changing it all at once will not be fruitful. You need to ease the transition. Change one meal at a time or choose a regular dog food but with a low sodium version. Another option you can consider is to mix typical dog food with low sodium food. Gradually decreasing the amount of traditional food will shift your dog to low sodium food automatically.
What are the Effects of Overdosing of Sodium?
There are several harmful effects of sodium overdose on a dog’s health. If your beloved canine fellow has consumed too much salt and no water availability, the salt will destroy its brain cells. The body will try to release water to normalize salt levels, and as a result, cells will be destroyed. It can lead your dog to dizziness, headache and seizures, and well.
Low sodium dog food can be challenging to find for some dog owners. There are different health conditions in which dogs need dog food with low sodium. Moreover, some well-known brands are making the best low sodium dog food. A couple of important things a dog owner should know before buying any dog food with low sodium content.
Nutritionists recommend that dog food should contain 0.3% salt level typically. An overdose of sodium can have different impacts on your dog’s health; therefore, make sure to check the sodium level.
Note: These products are not replacements of vets. In case of any serious health issue, consult your vet.